Sunday 28 April 2013

Macro Monday - South Channel Fort.

During the last school holidays we took a morning trip to an abandoned  military fort in Port Phillip Bay.  Clearly the intent of these places was not peaceful, but these places now have a kind of interest which I think the original builders would find strange.

The fort had a network of underground tunnels, which over time had filled with sand.  Some of the doors were still blocked by the original woodwork.  I found it it rather attractive.



One of the other things I liked about the fort was the different in tone on the notices near the small dock.  Its a interesting change of position!  Interestingly, these notices sit at the back of a small dock designed to house torpedo boats.  So presumably this would have been a "top secret" military location at some time.  Now the place is about promoting health if you read the second notice!


You can find more macro shots at Macro Monday.

You will be able to find a longer account of my trip to the fort on my other blog.

18 comments:

  1. Looks like it was made of railway sleepers. Good to see the old, rusty, hand made nails still holding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking the signs are bit contradictory. Do they want you to keep away or are you welcome? Great shots, Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. danger/keep away and welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weathered wood and rust make for an interesting photo. Well done on the conflicting messages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weathered wood & rusted iron are always great in my book.
    Amusing the conflicting signs.. Keep Away / Welcome. Signs of the times. :)
    I look forward to the rest of the story on the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talk about mixed messages! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the aging wood - the patterns are so distinctive.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing that we Homo sapiens are usually interested in anything with some secrets. If i were there, i will be so excited to see also what's at the other side. Here, there are also some underground tunnels used by the Japanese, but i am not so enticed to get in, maybe a little claustrophobic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once again a beautiful picture! I love the way you see the world in close-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting place to visit. I love the texture in your first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the first shot. Old wood has a certain charm to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I also love these places. In this case, the conflicting signs are the star! Great find Stewart...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful close ups Stewart!
    Great pictures!Have a lovely day!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful and interesting weathered surfaces. I love visiting historic sites.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great contrast between the old and the new in both pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the first paragraph, which explains better than I've ever been able to do to myself, why we find old forts fascinating places to tour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What do the possibly hand pounded nails say about the age of this place, Stewart? And isn't it amazing how the most mundane subject becomes interesting in a macro shot?

    ReplyDelete